Philosophy

Let’s face it – there is a general sense that the current education system is not up to the challenges of the future. Over fifty years ago, John F. Kennedy said: “We choose to go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard.” This moonshot thinking approach has inspired me to become the educator I am now and helped me empower educators to create the future we want to see in schools. In my role as a technology and innovation coach I aim to encourage teachers and students to embrace this way of thinking. If we successfully ignite this passion in our learning communities, the possibilities are endless.

I am highly involved with the Maker Movement, a technological and creative learning revolution underway around the world, which is heralded as a new industrial revolution – combining the spirit of the old shop class with modern tech in community ‘Do It Yourself’ spaces. New tools and technology, such as 3D printing, robotics, microprocessors, wearable computing, e-textiles, “smart” materials, and programming languages are being created at an unprecedented pace. In my role as a technology coach, I aim to provide hands-on, creative ways to encourage teachers and students to design, experiment, build and invent as they deeply engage in science, engineering, math and tinkering. This breadth of options and the “Sky is the Limit” attitude is exactly what students need, especially girls who tend to opt out of science and math in middle and high school.

Skip to toolbar